Gītāvalī (A Collection of Songs)
Ārati Kīrtan – Song One
Śrī Surabhi-Kuñje Śrī Gaura-Govinda-ārati
(The Ceremony of Worshiping Śrī Gaura-Govinda at Śrī Surabhi Kuñja)
bhāle gorā-gadādharer ārati nehāri
nadīyā-pūraba-bhāve jāu bolihāri
1) As I behold the wondrous ārati of my Lords Gaura and Gadādhara, I enter into the mood of Their existence previous to appearing in Nadīyā (Their Vṛndāvana līlā as Śrī Śrī Rādhā and Kṛṣṇa). It is simply indescribable.
sabu sakhī-beṣṭita kiśora-kiśorī
2) Underneath a desire-tree, seated upon a jeweled throne, the ever-youthful couple named Kiśora and Kiśorī are surrounded by all of Their gopī friends.
puraṭa-jaḍita kota maṇi-gajamati
jhamaki’ jhamaki’ labhe prati-aṅga-jyotiḥ
3) Śrī Rādhikā and Lord Govindajī are decorated with many shining jewels and pearls inlaid with gold artwork, enhancing the sparkling splendor of each and every limb of Their transcendental forms.
nīla nīrada lāgi’ vidyut-mālā
duhuṅ aṅga mili’ śobhā bhuvana-ujālā
4) The meeting of Their two bodily forms has generated a luster that brightens all the worlds, and may be compared to a garland of lightning (Rādhā) fixed upon a dark blue rain cloud (Kṛṣṇa).
śaṅkha bāje, ghanṭā bāje, bāje karatāla
madhura mṛdaṅga bāje parama rasāla
5) On the occasion of Their meeting there is a concert produced by the sounding of conchshells, bells, karatālas and mṛdaṅgas. Such kīrtana is supremely sweet and relishable to hear.
viśākhādi sakhī-vṛnda duhuṅ guna gāowe
priya-narma-sakhī-gaṇa cāmara dhulāowe
6) The cowherd damsels of Vṛndāvana led by Viśākhā Devī sing the glories of the Divine Couple while the priya-narma-sakhīs cool Their Lordships by waving cāmara fans.
anaṅga mañjarī cuyā-candana deowe
mālatīra mālā rūpa mañjarī lāgāowe
7) Anaṅga Mañjarī offers Them sandalwood pulp scented with cuyā while Rūpa Mañjarī places a garland of jasmine flowers about Their necks.
pañca-pradīpe dhori’ karpūra-bāti
lalitā-sundarī kore jugala-ārati
8) The beautiful Lalitā Sundarī holds a lamp of five flames scented with camphor and waves it aloft, offering ārati to the Divine Couple.
devī-lakṣmī-śruti-gaṇa dharaṇī loṭāowe
gopī-jana-adhikāra raowata gāowe
9) Parvatī, Lakṣmī, and the personified Vedas cry in great happiness while rolling on the ground and singing of the fortunate position of the damsels of Vraja-bhūmi.
bhakativinoda rohi’ surabhīki kuñje
ārati-daraśane prema-sukha bhuñje
10) Bhaktivinoda resides at Surabhi Kuñja in the land of Godruma-dwīpa, relishing the joy of divine love at the sight of this beautiful ārati.