tomāre bhuliyā, avidyā-pīḍāya,
pīḍita rasanā mora
kṛṣṇa-nāma-sudhā, bhālo nāhi lāge,
1) O my Lord Hari! Because of forgetting You, my tongue has become embittered with the disease of ignorance. I cannot relish the sweet nectar of Your holy name of Kṛṣṇa, for I have become addicted to the taste of worldly pleasures. *
prati-dina jadi, ādara koriyā,
se nāma kīrtana kori
sitapala jeno, nāśi’ roga-mūla,
krame swādu hoya, hari!
2) If I sing that holy name of Yours aloud every day with warm affection, then as sugar candy taken medicinally destroys the very disease which makes it taste bitter (jaundice), so Your holy name, O Lord Hari, will cure my spiritual disease and allow me to gradually taste Your sweetness.
durdaiva āmāra, se nāme ādara,
nā hoilo, doyāmoya!
daśa aparādha, āmāra durdaiva,
kemone hoibe kṣoya
3) How great is my misfortune that I feel no appreciation for Your holy name, O merciful Lord! In such a lamentable state, how will I be freed from committing the ten offenses to the holy name?
anudina jeno, tava nāma gāi,
kramete kṛpāya tava
aparādha jā’be, nāme ruci ha’be,
4) If I sing Your name every day, then gradually by Your mercy the ten offenses will disappear, taste for Your holy name will grow within me, and then I shall relish the intoxicating wine of that name.
* This song is based on the seventh verse of Upadeśāmṛta – syāt kṛṣṇa-nāma-caritādi…