Śaraṇāgati (Surrendered to the Lord’s Shelter)
Bhajana Lālasā (Hankering for Divine Service) – Song Three
bhajane utsāha, bhaktite viśvāsa,
1) O my Lord Hari! Enthusiasm in devotional service, faith in the process of devotional service, the treasure of patience in the attainment of love of God, performing activities favorable to pure devotion, abandoning the company of worldly people…
bhakti-sadācāra, ei chaya guna,
nāhilo āmāra nātha!
kemone bhojibo, tomāra caraṇa,
chāḍiyā māyāra sātha
2) …performing approved devotional practices-I have never possessed these six devotional qualities, O Lord. How, then, shall I give up my affinity for Māyā and worship Your lotus feet? *
garhita ācāre, rohilāma moji’,
nā korinu sādhu-saṅga
lo’ye sādhu-veśa, āne upadeśi,
e boḍo māyāra raṅga
3) Remaining absorbed in abominable activities, I never kept company with sādhus. Now I adopt the garb of a sādhu and act out the role of instructing others. This is Māyā’s big joke.
e heno daśāya, ahaitukī kṛpā,
tomāra pāibo, hari!
śrī-guru-āśroye, ḍākibo tomāya,
kabe vā minati kori’
4) O Lord Hari, in such a helpless condition surely I will receive Your causeless mercy. O when, under the shelter of my spiritual master, will I call out to You with my humble entreaty?
* This song is based on the third verse of Upadeśāmṛta – utsāhan niścayād dhairyāt…