Śaraṇāgati (Surrendered to the Lord’s Shelter)
Bhajana Lālasā (Hankering for Divine Service) – Song Two
arthera sañcaye, viṣaya-prayāse,
āno-adhikāra, niyama āgrahe,
1) O my Lord Hari! I have become absorbed in accumulating wealth and endeavoring for material possessions. I am addicted to idle conversations on topics apart from You. I mistakenly accept duties apart from my own qualifications, and am always eager to adhere to the letter of the law. This is the consequence of associating with worldly men. *
asthira siddhānte, rohinu mojiyā,
hari-bhakti roilo dūre
e hṛdoye mātro, para-hiṁsā, mada,
pratiṣṭhā, śaṭhatā sphure
2) I remain deeply absorbed in the quicksand of ever-changing, uncertain opinions. Therefore, devotion to You has remained distant from me. In this heart of mine dwells only envy and malice towards others, false pride, the desire for fame and honor, and deceitfulness.
e saba āgraha, chāḍite nārinu,
āpana doṣate mari
janama biphala, hoilo āmāra,
ekhona ki kori, hari!
3) I have not been able to give up any of these inclinations. Thus my own faults have been my downfall. My birth as a human being has been totally wasted. O Lord Hari, what am I to do now?
āmi to’ patita, patita-pāvana,
tomāra pavitra nāma
se sambandha dhori’, tomāra caraṇe,
śaraṇa loinu hāma
4) I am indeed fallen (patita); but Your pure holy name is Patita-pāvana – the savior of the fallen. Clinging to our relationship as implied by that holy name, I have taken shelter of Your lotus feet.
* This song is based on the second verse of Upadeśāmṛta – atyāhāraḥ prayāsaś ca…