Śaraṇāgati (Surrendered to the Lord’s Shelter)
Fifth Principle of Surrender: Bhakti-Pratikūla-Bhāva Varjanāṅgīkāra (Renunciation of Conduct Unfavorable to Pure Devotion) – Song 2
tuwā-bhakti-pratikūla dharma jā’te roy
parama jatane tāhā tyajibo niścoy
1) I will assuredly abandon with utmost endeavor all things in which aversion to Your devotional service is inherent.
tuwā-bhakti-bahir-mukha saṅga nā koribo
gaurāṅga-virodhi-jana-mukha nā heribo
2) I will not keep company with those opposed to Your devotional service, nor even look at the faces of those inimical toward Lord Gaurāṅga.
bhakti-pratikūla sthāne nā kori vasati
bhaktira apriya kārye nāhi kori rati
3) I will never reside at a place unfavorable for devotional practices, and I will never take pleasure in non-devotional activities.
bhaktira virodhī grantha pāṭha nā koribo
bhaktira virodhī vyākhyā kabhu nā śunibo
4) I will read no book opposed to pure devotion, nor listen to any scriptural explanation which counters pure devotional principles.
gaurāṅga-varjita sthāna tīrtha nāhi māni
bhaktira bādhaka jñāna-karma tuccha jāni
5) I will never regard as sacred any place where Lord Gaurāṅga is rejected. All knowledge or action hindering pure devotional service I consider worthless.
bhaktira bādhaka kāle nā kori ādar
bhakti bahir-mukha nija-jane jāni par
6) Any seasonal observance which poses obstacles to the execution of devotional service finds no favor with me, and I consider as strangers all my own relatives or family members who are averse to devotional service.
bhaktira bādhikā spṛhā koribo varjan
abhakta-pradatta anna nā kori grahan
7) I will totally abandon all desires that hinder devotion, and I will never touch foodstuffs offered to me by non-devotees.
jāhā kichu bhakti-pratikūla boli’ jāni
tyajibo jatane tāhā, e niścoya vānī
8) I vow to carefully avoid whatever I know to be contrary to devotional service. This is a most definite proclamation.
bhakativinoda poḍi’ prabhura caraṇe
māgaye śakati pratikūlyera varjane
9) Bhaktivinoda falls down at the feet of the Lord and begs for the strength to give up all things that are unfavorable to pure devotion.